Saturday, January 23, 2010

Who Has The Best Pizza in Park Slope?

Luke Constantino | January 23, 2010

After talking to a number of people, I narrowed down the list of pizzerias to the five places most mentioned. After going on this quest, I had to double my time in the gym, but it was worth it. Don’t get bent out of shape if your place isn’t here, I’m only one guy with two feet and one stomach. If you have another place, that’s great - let me know. Here are the five from my list. At each place, I tried the regular slice.

Joe’s Pizza - 137 7th Ave

Joes Pizza 137 7th Ave Brooklyn NY Joe's Pizza 137 7th Ave Brooklyn NY

This is the kind of street pizza I grew up with. It’s not the gourmet stuff you’re going to get at some other places. It’s just a good slice that will satisfy you. To walk into a neighborhood pizza place and grab a regular slice was damn good. I like the feel of the place too: “It’s Brooklyn.” A slice, a soda and you’re good to go!

Pino's La Forchetta - 181 7th Ave

Pino's Pizza 181 7th Ave Brooklyn, NY Pino's Pizza 181 7th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

This pizza was very similar to Joe’s pizza but tasted a little better. The service there was really good, even though they were very busy when I was there. The atmosphere in Pino’s was pretty nice and I like the neon lights on the windows.

Nice place, nice slice.

Roma Pizza - 85 7th Ave

Roma Pizza 85 7th Ave, Brooklyn, NY Roma Pizza 85 7th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

If you like cheesy pizza, this is the place. They give you a nice cheesy slice with a hint of oregano. For me, it was a dull and forgettable slice. It could use a little salt, some garlic and a little more sauce. In my opinion, you’re better off going to Pino’s or Joes if you’re on 7th Avenue. I honestly don’t know how three pizzerias that are so close together stay in business. I guess it's better than bringing your baby to the bar (local inside joke).

LaVilla - 261 5th Ave

La Villa Pizza - 261 5th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

I’m doing slices…

They only sell pies.

Smiling Pizza - 323 7th Avenue

Smiling Pizza 323 7th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

This was an old hang out of mine when I was a kid. We knew it as “Smilies,” as do a lot of people in Park Slope. My friends and I would always get a slice at “Smilies” when we came off the F train from Manhattan. I never said or will say it was great pizza, but this slice holds memories for me. They say “pizza is like sex… Even if it sucks, it's OK.”

They must have been talking about “Smilies.”

Pepe’s Pizza and Panini - 597 4th Ave

Pepe's Pizza 597 4th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

I put a smile on as soon as I walked in the place. How come I never heard of this place? I was so tempted to try the Margherita slice but… I’M WORKING ON A REGULAR SLICE HERE!!! ~ Crowded, yes. Smell? Awesome! ~ Slice? This was an excellent slice! I hear the place is fairly young compared to the pizza places that have been out there and a little further down the way, but make no mistake; this place is the best in Park Slope! OK… I sneaked a square in, it was also very good!

Pepe's Pizza 597 4th Ave. Brooklyn, NY

Me and "The Pizza Maestro" himself: Peppe!

I’m going to sneak back for the Margherita pie later. I heard it’s amazing!

Luke Constantino Park Slope, Brooklyn

Let’s face it: Park Slope is never going to be famous for its pizza like Bensonhurst is, but it’s a great place to live and was one of the best places to play stickball when I was a kid. You can’t beat the people and its unique variety of shops and stores. I’ve seen it go from a just getting by kind of place in the 70’s to the beautiful cosmopolitan neighborhood it is now. Can the pizza be better? Yes, but you cannot find a better place in Brooklyn.

Luke Constantino
Commercial
| Residential
REMAX PARK SLOPE

Direct: (212) 300-3919 | Fax: (360) 368-0098
Email: LukeConstantino@aol.com
http://LukeConstantino.com

No comments: